Quick guide for a Brand’s product manager or Brand Editor to OK, comment or to manage product data in the Icecat PIM (Product Information Management system).
To add or change content in a product data-sheet (PDS), please follow the next steps:
1. NotificationsIf you (as brand contact) receive product update notifications via emails You can enter the product details through the links to the PDS you receive. Just click “Edit Product”.
If the product content is OK for you, just click on the “Accept” button.
2. PIM login
Alternatively you can login via the Icecat PIM (if you do not have login details, please register here), and search for the product you need by its product code or name. Next, you will get a search result with an overview of products. You can click on the product to update its PDS.
The checkbox “Active products” allows you to filter products that appear at least in one of the live price feeds from channel partners or your connected ERP system.
3. Please, enter the product details by clicking on a product line.
4. In the product details screen you will find several forms:
5. To change data in the “General” form you do not need to click on the “Save” button. Changes are saved automatically.
Category: If the product is in the wrong category, you can find the correct category by starting typing its name in the category field. In case you do not find the desired category, please press “+Search for any Icecat category” and all available categories will be displayed.
Product model description: This is the name by which a Brand is promoting a specific product. You can also change this field. Please, note that the general (INT – international) product model description has to be understandable in any language. Thus language-specific words or word combinations should be avoided. If you want to have a language-specific product model description, you can select the respective language or locale (see the image below). You can update only the language-specific product model description. If you would like to change the general product model description, please create a ticket.
Further, note that Brand (+ Family) + Product model description is used to automatically generate a Product Title.
Picture: You can upload a high resolution picture in JPEG format by clicking on “Add”. You will see a new window. Please, click on “Choose file” and select the appropriate file. Alternatively, you can put a link to the product image in the “Pictures URL” field. Before clicking on “Add picture”, choose correct Localization (language) for the image and indicate the expiration date if needed.
When uploading a picture, ensure it isn’t smaller than 200x200px and that it has a white background. If the image is relevant only for specific locales, you can indicate that accordingly.
Product families and series: If relevant, select the “Product families”. This is the product family as shown on the official vendor site.
6. Via “Publication restrictions” one can limit the accessibility of the PDS to particular channel partners by setting Publish to “Limited” and selecting authorized resellers. You can also indicate the Release date and the End of life date of the product.
7. You can add “GTIN”, i.e., the bar code, by just entering the code and clicking on the “Add” button.
8. If videos or additional digital assets are available for the product, please add them via “Media Gallery” (see below). This option is to help consumers to better understand what they are going to buy.
You can add the MMO (multimedia object) by clicking on “Add”. You will see a new window. The Multimedia Objects menu is intended to add extra information about the product: manuals, leaflets, videos, 3D, product stories and/or energy labels. It is a simple process by copying the link to the object and pasting it in the “Object URL” field. Alternatively you can upload the MMO file directly from your computer by clicking on “Choose file”. Before clicking on “Add object”, choose the correct Localization (language), add a short description and indicate the expiration date if needed.
9. “Descriptions”. If descriptions are already added, you still can make some corrections by clicking on one of them. If you want to add a new description, to the English text for example, just choose the language and fill in the fields presented. Then click on the “Add” button.
10. “Specs”. You can correct, add or remove specification values. To implement the changes you do not need to click on “Save”. Changes are saved automatically. Localized spec values, can be added in the same way as localized product names.
Important specs adding requirements (please, read it if you are going to add specs also) If the feature is highlighted green (or marked with *) it should be ALWAYS filled in. Numerical data should use the dot – ‘.’ – as a decimal separator. As much as possible, textual specs are controlled by using a dropdown box. The standardization of these attributes is critical as they can be used for searching products.
If you think that there are not sufficient specs in a certain category, please create a Ticket.
Values in a spec value field should contain the indicated measure mentioned next to the right of the field. E.g. feature: “Height” has as measure “mm”. So its value should be only in “mm”.
Please, avoid English words in text values and use international symbols. E.g. use ‘-’ instead of ‘to’. Use ‘&’ instead of ‘and’.
Spec values should not be redundantly used.
11. With “Reasons to buy” you are enabled to highlight particular product features. Click the “Reasons to buy” icon
Repeat the sequence to add more “reasons to buy” one by one.
12. If the product is already described and you don’t have time to correct it, please post a Ticket, and our editors will apply all the changes you suggest. Just click on the “Post a ticket” button in the Product details section. Then write your remarks in the fields that are shown.
Important note: the support of certain functionalities, service levels, digital assets, and publication restrictions (digital rights management), might not yet be supported by your contract with Icecat.
In case you have any questions you can contact your Icecat manager.
Read further: Manuals, manuals, PIM, PIMS, product information management
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.