Synnex and Tech Data Merge into 57B USD Distribution Giant

Avatar for Martijn Hoogeveen
By
robot distribution
Likethumbsup(5)Dislikesthumbsdown(0)

Through the 7.2B USD merger of Synnex and Tech Data, the world’s largest tech distributor is created. Synnex owns 55% of the combined company, with 57B USD sales. Appollo Global, the private equity firm that took Tech Data private, owns the other 45%. The combined distributor has a strong footprint in the Americas, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. The market share after the merger is around 30% of the global tech distribution market of around 187B USD in 2019 according to marketresearch.com.

Therefore the merger is a major consolidation shakeup in global tech distribution. Ingram Micro, recently taken private by Platinum Equity, comes second with 47B USD in annual sales in 2019. Probably, this will speed up alternative merger options to help Ingram Micro close the gap with the new No 1. It’s not where you want to be: No 2 in a low-margin, economies-of-scale driven business.

What will be the effect of the merger between Synnex and Tech Data? For global tech brands, there is now even less way around US-centered global distributors. At first, the merger reduces competition. This means that through synergies and a better negotiation position, distribution margins should improve somewhat. Because of divide and rule policies, global brands might rebalance their distribution between the two remaining giants in the coming years. This is an advantage for Ingram Micro. But, rebalancing distribution flows is also beneficial for the 100s of regional distributors (see the Iceshop Vendor Network). But, staying regional is for these local contenders not enough. Because the globalizing e-commerce market demands global logistics service providers, which are easy to integrate in global backoffices.


Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated.
Loading

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Icecat xml

Open Catalog Interface (OCI): Manual for Open Icecat XML and Full Icecat XML

This document describes the Icecat XML method of Icecat's Open Catalog Inte...
 November 3, 2019
 October 4, 2018
Manual

Manual for Icecat Live: Real-Time Product Data in Your App

Icecat Live is a (free) service that enables you to insert real-time produc...
 June 10, 2022
Manual for Icecat CSV Interface

Manual for Icecat CSV Interface

This document describes the manual for Icecat CSV interface (Comma-Separate...
 September 28, 2016
Manual

Manual for Open Icecat JSON Product Requests

JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) is an increasingly popular means of trans...
 September 17, 2018
Icecat Addons plugins

Icecat Add-ons include Magento, PrestaShop, Shopify, Magento, Google Shopping, Pimcore, Bol.com. NEW: Mirakl

Icecat has a huge list of integration partners, making it easy for clients ...
 November 24, 2022
 January 20, 2020

Iceclog: Content Log New Ideas like a Free Vendor Central

“Iceclog” (Icecat content log) is the Icecat ...
 June 26, 2019
Manual

Manual Personalized Interface File and Catalog from Icecat

With Icecat, you can generate personalized or customized CSV or Excel files...
 May 3, 2022
New Standard video thumbnail

Autheos video acquisition completed

July 21, Icecat and Autheos jointly a...
 September 7, 2021