Manual: Downloading Image Libraries for Your Online Products
see our recommendations for images in Icecat, based on retailer requirements). Further, one of the functionalities absolutely needed in your webshop or app is zoom-in, which allows customers to better view the product and simulate the physical experience of getting closer and touching which they would experience in an traditional store.For sure, online experience cannot start without the customer viewing the product, i.e. its image(s) in high resolution (
Now, there are “advanced” retailers who download and integrate every day thousands of images, with the preferred resolution and the right size for their app, in an automated way and from multiple sources. However, there are still users who build an automatic connection with their content provider and meanwhile look for downloadable image libraries, to be uploaded to their system by hand. Also, brand managers often need to access their own product images, in order to send them quickly to retailers for a last-minute promotional campaign. Especially retailers in the beauty sector have a close connection with brands and still expect to receive image zip files for upload. Further, for cosmetics and FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) in general, images are “localized”, i.e. adapted to the different markets in which a certain product is active. For instance, If I’m buying a face cream at an Italian webshop, I would expect to see the product and its package as I would find it in a physical Italian store, so with all ingredients, slogan, family name, in Italian or as the brand has conveyed it in the local market.
Let’s see step-by-step how to easily download images from Icecat, based on a product list.
1. Login in to www.icecat.com with your username and password. If you don’t have an Icecat account, you should first register (it’s free and only takes 2 minutes).
2. Go to: “My profile” >“My price list” >“Matching Your Price list”.
3. Upload your product list (“Price List”) by URL or browse it from your device. If you have already imported a product list in the past, please first click on “Edit Import Settings” and then upload the new list.
6. Assign the corresponding columns: “Manufacturer part number (product code)”, “Manufacturer brand name”, “EAN/UPC code” (only needed if Brand + Part number are absent). These fields are mandatory.
7. Click on “Save settings”. Wait for the import to be finished.
8. Go to the tab “My downloads” and click on the camera icon.
You will get a .gz file with all the images (you can open the file with Winzip or a similar tool), based on your query (i.e. the size and languages you’ve chosen). Pictures are renamed as follows: Brand name_EAN_language_type. Type 1 is the main image and 2,3, etc. are the additional images in the gallery.
By following these steps, you have all the images you need, based on your product list, language and format selection. Integrate them in your web shop or PIM system, enrich your website and improve the shopping experience of your customers.